for Crystal Reports
.rpt Inspector Professional Suite is an integrated powerful suite of tools which allow you to open one, two, a hundred, or several hundred Crystal Reports -- all at the same time1!
Use the tools in .rpt Inspector Professional Suite to find and filter in common Crystal Reports design objects and properties (formulas, parameters, parameter default values, text, headers, footers, size, driver, data source, database, printer, fonts, running totals, sql expressions, etc.) across the selected Crystal Reports and modify or document them all at the same time -- all with visual feedback.
Read further for details and screen shots of each of the 16 tools which are integrated in to this powerful suite. Waiting for Crystal Reports 2008 support? Click for details.
- Mass ... Change Data Source, Set Location, Convert Driver, Verify Database
Need to ...
- change your data source?
- move your Crystal Reports to a different database with the same tables & fields?
(i.e. from a development database -- to a staging / QA database -- to a production database)
- migrate your Crystal Reports to a different database and/or different driver?
(i.e. from Oracle 9i to SQL Server 2000)
- rename or remove fields and update the mappings in your Crystal Reports to reflect the changes?
(i.e. changed field Employee_Number to EmployeeNo)
The Data source / Database Migration and Conversion wizard makes this process quick and easy.
You can literally make changes to hundreds of Crystal Report's data sources and/or databases, update field mappings, and more in minutes.
|Database Connection Method||Supported Databases|
|ODBC||Yes - However Not Tested In Our Labs|
|New as of 3.02 - DAO|
|OLE DB||Yes - However Not Tested In Our Labs|
|Note that there is currently limited support for stored procedures (currently only stored procedures without parameters are supported as we do not prompt for those parameters -- this is expected in a future version).|
- Find, Analyze, and Group By Data Source / Database, Drivers, Connect Strings, Tables, Fields (including quickly those in use and not in use), and more ...
Need to find and analyze ...
- Defintion Name
- which fields are in use or not in use?
- what field types (string, numeric, etc.) are used for your fields?
- what database, driver, etc. is used in your Crystal Reports to do an impact analysis?
Such as ...
Our Database Analyzer tool makes it quick and easy. When your Crystal Reports are open, we retrieve all data source and database related properties and expose them to you in a property list for you to make your analysis.
To further ease your efforts, you can group by any of these properties to quickly and easily get to the information your looking for.
- Search and Replace Text in all Objects
- Supports Pattern Matching (Regular Expressions) in Search and/or Replace*
- Saves matches on Finds and/or Replaces in History (exportable to Clipboard, CSV, or XML)*
Not sure ...
- which report has a formula definition that contains "*.20"
- which text objects contain "Acme Corp."
Use our powerful search and replace engine. You can search for specific text even if you're not sure of all the places it resides (text objects, parameter objects, formula objects, etc.). It's easier than ever to find what you're looking for and/or replace it with something else. You can even fine tune your search by specifying which specific types of objects to search.
And if you want to get even fancier, you can take advantage of our pattern matching search and/or replace* which uses regular expressions.
* Denotes a new feature
- Font properties (Font / Font Size / Font Style)
- Color properties (Text Color, Back Color, Border Color)
- Line properties
- Paragraph properties
- Size properties
- Position properties
- and more ...
- and more ...
Now you can modify the various properties of your text objects with ease. And it's integrated with our Spell Checker tool with offers custom dictionaries.
- Find, Analyze, Group By, and Modify Definition Text (with Crystal and VB Syntax highlighter and Validation)
- Standardize Formulas (edit, copy, paste definition text across multiple formulas across multiple Crystal Reports)
Do you have formulas that are ...
- variations on previous formulas
- almost the same and you want to standardize them
- in need of updates or changes
Our Formula Editor allows you to quickly and easily find in common formulas, apply changes to one or multiple formulas at the same time, and copy and paste formula definitions -- across one or many formulas -- across multiple Crystal Reports.
All in a powerful easy to use Formula Editor that supports formula validation checking and keyword syntax highlighting in your choice of Crystal or VB formula syntax. And it's integrated with our Spell Checker tool.
- Find, Analyze, Group By, and Modify Prompt, Default Values, and more ...
- Standardize Parameters (edit, copy from source and paste to multiple destinations across multiple reports, add new values, change order, etc.)
It's now easier than ever to standardize and update your parameter's default values. With our Parameter Editor (default values editor) you can select multiple parameters across one or many reports and you can append or overwrite default values with ease.
Another way to work with parameter default values is our one-to-many copy relationship. This allows you to select your source, copy its values, and paste them to as many destinations as necessary.
And it's integrated with our Spell Checker tool.
- Find, Analyze, Group By, and Modify
- Formula Name
- Value Type
- Definition Text
It's now easier than ever to standardize and update your SQL Expressions. Our SQL Expressions Editor lets you work with the various properties that make up SQL Expressions.
The DefinitionText property is powered by the same powerful Formula Editor that supports formula validation checking and keyword syntax highlighting in your choice of Crystal or VB formula syntax. And it's integrated with our Spell Checker tool.
- Blob Field
- Database Field
- Formula Field
- Group Name
- Olap Grid
- Parameter Fields
- Running Total
- SQL Expression
- and more ...
- Currency Formatting
- Date Formatting
- Number Formatting
- Paragraph Formatting
- Conditional Formulas
- and more ...
When you design a report, in addition to the database fields you can put on the design, can also create various objects (Box, Text, Formula, Parameter, SQL Expression, etc.) and put some or all of them on the design of the Crystal Report.
The Objects Editor is designed to work with only those objects that appear on the design (the objects that are in use) of the report. Those objects that do not appear on the design (those that were created but are not being used) can still be accessed and worked with their respective editors (Formula, SQL Expression, Parameter, Running Total, Alert, etc.) on the respective Tab of the Objects Grid.
Now you can see and modify the various properties of your objects with ease.
All conditional formulas are powered by the same powerful Formula Editor that supports formula validation checking and keyword syntax highlighting in your choice of Crystal or VB formula syntax. And it's integrated with our Spell Checker tool.
- Find, Analyze, Group By, and Modify
- Value Type
It's now easier than ever to analyze your Running Totals.
- Find, Analyze, Group By, and Modify Sections
- Number Of Objects
- Color and Size (Back Color, Conditional Formula, Width, Height, MinimumHeight)
- Suppress (and Conditional Formula)
- SuppressIfBlank (and Conditional Formula)
- PrintAtBottomOfPage (and Conditional Formula)
- NewPageAfter (and Conditional Formula)
- NewPageBefore (and Conditional Formula)
- ResetPageNumberAfter (and Conditional Formula)
- KeepTogether (and Conditional Formula)
- and more ...
It's now easier than ever to work with sections using our Section Editor which allows you to modify the various properties of your sections with ease.
- Change the default printer on your Crystal Reports
The default printer that is set in your reports can impact the final look and feel of your Crystal Report -- both in the viewer as well as when exported.
Use our Printer Change Wizard to quickly and easily change the default printer and its properties across multiple Crystal Reports at the same time.
- Find, Analyze, Group By, and Modify SQL Expressions
- Definition Name
It's now easier than ever to standardize and update your Alerts. With our Alerts Editor you can work with various properties.
The formula modifications are powered by the same powerful Formula Editor that supports formula validation checking and keyword syntax highlighting in your choice of Crystal or VB formula syntax. And it's integrated with our Spell Checker tool.
Now you can spell check your text and even add custom words to the dictionary. No more embarrassing typos.
The spell checker is available in our Text, Formula, and Parameter editors.
- Similar in concept to MP3 Playlists
- Create a virtually unlimited number of Report Lists
- Each report list can have a virtually unlimited number of Crystal Reports (sorted in your preferred order) from various directories on the file system and/or folders in APS/CMS
- Opening a Report List automatically opens all associated Crystal Reports
Do you work with the same sets of Crystal Reports? You no longer need to open them one at a time (even if you select multiple Crystal Reports in the open dialog you'll love this feature).
Just like an MP3 playlist, you can create a virtually unlimited number
of Report Lists. Add to each report list any number of Crystal Reports you'd like, from any directory on your system or mapped drive.
Then click on a report list and it will automatically open all Crystal Reports in the list.
- See multiple Crystal Reports in their own preview window
- Visually compare Crystal Reports
In addition to showing you open sub-reports as a separate tab (configurable in TOOLS | OPTIONS), we have now given you the ability to open a virtually
unlimited amount of preview windows. Simply right click on one of the report tabs in the preview viewer pane and select Open In A New Window open.
But we didn't stop there. You can drag and drop the report tabs between all open preview windows. And if you want your sub-reports to automatically follow, turn it on in TOOLS | OPTIONS.
This powerful feature allows you to quickly and easily see your changes come to live to multiple previews at the same time.
.rpt Inspector 3 Professional Suite is available in 5 editions. Each is feature for feature identical:
(see Specifications page for requirements and supported file format(s) for each edition)
- .rpt Inspector 3 Professional Suite (for CR 8.5)
reads Crystal Reports 5.x - Crystal Reports 8.5 & writes in Crystal Reports 7.x or 8.x file format.
- .rpt Inspector 3 Professional Suite (for CR 9)
reads Crystal Reports 5.x - Crystal Reports 9 & writes in Crystal Reports 9 file format.
- .rpt Inspector 3 Professional Suite (for CR 10)
reads Crystal Reports 5.x - Crystal Reports 10 & writes in Crystal Reports 10 file format.
- .rpt Inspector 3 Professional Suite (for CR XI)
reads Crystal Reports 5.x - Crystal Reports XI & writes in Crystal Reports XI file format.
- .rpt Inspector 3 Professional Suite (for CR XIr2)
reads Crystal Reports 5.x - Crystal Reports XI Release 2 & writes in Crystal Reports XI Release 2 file format.
In version 1 we supported ODBC for the preview viewer and the datasource wizard.
As of version 2, we've greatly expanded our connectivity support.
Now updated with native support for Crystal Reports stored
in Business Objects Enterprise / Crystal Enterprise.
Now when enabling the preview viewer and making a connection to a database, you'll be prompted to enter a user id and password if necessary on all supported connectivity methods. For connectivity methods that require specifying more information then just a user id and password (OLE DB and Native drivers) we completely support this too.
Originally introduced in version 1, our patent pending technology allows you to quickly and easily analyze properties across objects and reports.
Drag and Group is the concept of selecting item(s) in the Objects pane, and dragging one or more properties from the Property pane down to the Objects pane (to any grid on any tab) to create a new column.
Then right clicking on the column header and selecting group by object name (where the object name is the name of the column; i.e. font; font color, formula, etc.). The result is a pivot view.
And now as of version 2, we've further optimized performance on grouping and moving items within the groupings (top / bottom / up one / down one). Plus we've exposed the grouping level color configuration and added support for auto-refresh of groupings.
All window panes and menus dockable and floatable. This gives you ultimate control of the user interface to customize as you see fit.
Many editors (text, formulas, parameters, etc.) have also support docking.
With our dockable and floatable window panes and menus, you'll want to customize the layout that suits you
best. So we've given you the ability to save a virtually unlimited number of customizable layouts that you can quickly and easily switch to on the fly.
But don't worry. It's easy to return back to the default layout at anytime.